Even though I’ve been trying to keep up with my blog posts, I haven’t really been sewing as much lately as is usual for me. Sitting at the machine requires a lot more effort than I can muster most days, so my output has slowed considerably. This has led to a rethink of my sewing strategy: I can’t buy a lot of fabric with the guarantee that I will burn through it quickly, so I’ve been taking stock of what I already have and working out what to do with it.
Hey folks! I was discussing vintage patterns on Pattern Review and mentioned that I had a few images of vintage patterns for lingerie, which I thought might be worth sharing.
They are draft-your-own patterns, based on diagrams from which you plug in your measurements and draft a perfectly-fitted pattern. If you want a vintage slip, some cami-knickers or tap pants, this is an easy (and free!) way to get started. I can’t vouch for them all, but the pattern I made from the Princess Slip diagram was a success.
Click the images below or check them all out on my album.
Last time, I shared with you a few dresses I’d made for my friends. I felt this particular dress deserved a post of its own.
This dress is my pièce de résistance – a knock off the Lindy Bop Ophelia dress, drafted from New Look 6773. It was made from Spotlight poly poplin. Before you ask, I am aware that Gertie produced a pattern for Butterick (5882) which is similar in style to the Ophelia. I did consider using it, but the bust piece is so small that it looks less like a design feature and more like a pair of small birds landed on the model’s chest.
Warning: contains a GIF
Any sewing aficionado not living under a rock will be aware of McCall’s 6696, their famous shirtdress pattern. Gorgeous variations abound online, and for good reason – it seems to be one of those unicorn patterns that looks good on just about anyone. Except me, of course.
Being a lover of dresses and shirt dresses in particular, I’d been wanting to make M6696 for a long time. I even had the perfect vintage doona cover to make it from. Unfortunately (and predictably), as soon as I put sleeves on my muslin, I couldn’t move my arms – the chest was far too tight, all around my shoulders. I’d already busted my ass making adjustments, and after I’d futzed around with the muslin, I concluded that there was no way my hulk back would fit in this pattern. So I turned to my trusty Burda instead.