A few weeks back I bought this delish viscose jumpsuit at the op shop. I don’t know what I was thinking, really – I’m too tall for anything one-piece to fit me, and this was no exception. The jumpsuit gave me a mega-wedgie, front and back (you’re welcome for the visual), so I threw it in the donation pile.
It wasn’t until I saw Megan’s post about making a two-piece jumpsuit that I had the idea of unpicking mine to make a matching set. It would be such a shame to let the amazing viscose fabric go to waste (i.e., let someone shorter than me have it).
Dividing the jumpsuit into two pieces was too easy – I just unpicked the waist seam, then removed the elastic encased in the back of the bodice, the waist ties from the side seam and the topstitched belt loops. The waist ties were salvaged to make an elastic casing for the short, sewn at a deep seam allowance rather than cutting the slippery fabric to size. This meant I only added 5mm to the already high rise.
The bodice portion needed quite a bit of length added – you can probably get an idea of how uncomfortable the jumpsuit was on by looking at where the original bodice ends in these pictures! I had an unfinished shirt cut out of The Remnant Warehouse poplin, which I had decided was too lightweight for that particular application. However, it worked perfectly as a spliced shirt hem for this breezy summer outfit.
The side seams of the bodice were so off that I just pinned the shirt hem to match, rather than trying to correct the mis-matched widths. At first, I was concerned that the contrasting characteristics of the two fabrics would look a bit Becky Home-Ecky, but now I like how the viscose shifts above the crisp poplin which anchors it in place.
After some lengthy oxy-bleaching (I spotted old stains when sewing) and hand-tacking to keep the cuffs in place, the outfit was ready to wear. I like how I can wear the pieces together for a matchy faux-romper vibe, or separately with other items of clothing.