Sewing TNTs (tried ‘n’ trues)

November is TNT Month over at the Sewcialists blog, so I thought I’d do a round up of my favourite tried and true patterns.

Two fit and flare dresses made in fun prints.

First up is Simplicity 1419, the Lisette Round Trip dress. I’ve made this a couple of times for friends: above you can see a sleeveless dress in a vintage sheet and the sleeved variation in a fabulous Wonder Woman cotton from Spotlight. (I might have used a different sleeve to the pattern here, I can’t quite remember.)

Fit and flare dress in a Marimekko style floral print.

I’ve also made a Marimekko-style dress for myself from a vintage sheet, and an unblogged but much loved version in Alexander Henry “Back in the Saddle” fabric (below). For all dresses but the Alexander Henry I switched out the pattern skirt for a plain rectangular gathered skirt with pockets (the pattern skirt is lovely, BTW, I just couldn’t be assed with the pleats).

 

Sadly, I rarely wear pretty frocks anymore, in favour of a much more practical wardrobe. The next pattern certainly fits that bill: Grainline Studio’s free Hemlock Tee. I didn’t think it would suit my style when first released, but the fact that I’ve made four of them proved me wrong! The first three were one of my first blog posts, and I recently made another from an op shopped striped knit.

Four Hemlock tees.
Spotlight striped ponte & indigo cotton knit, secondhand black french terry, op shopped thick stripe knit.

Each time I lengthened the sleeves and body, and used my own neckband piece instead of that provided with the pattern.

 

Finally, it wouldn’t be a pattern roundup without a feature from my beloved Burda. I’ve madeΒ Burda Silk Blouse 04/2011 #105 four times now, each in very different ways.

Burda silk blouse pattern, sewn four ways.

My first shirt (unblogged) was in a lovely spotted satin-back crepe, and I switched out the over-long split sleeve cuffs for a regular button cuff with continuous bound placket. The second is a summery, short sleeve shirt in a cotton/spandex poplin, and my most recent version is a long-sleeve shirt with narrow tower placket in a similar fabric. All fabrics are from The Remnant Warehouse.

I even used this pattern as a base for aΒ shirtdress! Each time I made a number of fitting adjustments, so click through to each linked post if you’re interested.

 

What are your TNTs? Do you prefer to rely on patterns you know have worked in the past, or do you like trying something new?

Author: Siobhan S

20 something, living in country Australia. Spoonie profile: ME/CFS, dysautonomia, anxiety. All about sewing, knitting and food. Unapologetic feminist and disability advocate.

14 thoughts on “Sewing TNTs (tried ‘n’ trues)”

  1. These are all lovely TNT’s! I have a Sewaholic Hollyburn skirt that I have made a few times. My traced copy has all the changes I like and fits and sews up really quickly! I also have a top that I like to make when I need a quick top – it’s a Butterick pattern and I don’t know the number because I use a tracing of it now and I forgot to copy the pattern number down on my tracing! oops!

    Like

  2. It seems like all I sew these days are TNT’s. My most made is Sewaholic’s Belcarra blouse. With added pockets it is the perfect non-boxy scrub top. I think I have made 18 of them (yes I have a lot of scrubs). Next would be the Scout T, I have probably made 10 of them, again with added pockets and a couple of inches in length, they are a pretty good scrub. TNTs are perfect for a fast and easy make. I need to find more of them.

    Like

Thanks for dropping by! I read and value each and every comment you leave. Constructive criticism is welcome.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s